To celebrate the official launch today of the Guardian's new team of environment bloggers, here's my latest post on why the party's well and truly over. I report on the latest research, much emerging in just the last week - across issues encompassing land, oil, bees and climate change - which points to an impending global food apocalypse well within the next 10 years, if we don't, as a civilisation, change course now.
It's an important piece which draws together quite a bit of solid science, so... if you're human, and eat food, you need to read this, and share it.
A new report says that the world will need to more than double foodproduction over the next 40 years to feed an expanding global population. But as the world's food needs are rapidly increasing, the planet's capacity to produce food confronts increasing constraints from overlapping crises that, if left unchecked, could lead to billions facing hunger.
Read the rest here.
7 June 2013
Peak Soil: Industrial Civilisation is on the Verge of Eating Itself
- EXCLUSIVE: Oil industry, US govt, inflating shale ...
- EXCLUSIVE: Edward Snowden's employer, NSA Prism co...
- Peak Soil: Industrial Civilisation is on the Verge...
- Guardian officially launches new international tea...
- Shock UK Ministry of Defence report warns of energ...
- MI5 Woolwich Failure Due to Geopolitical Alliance ...
- ▼ June (6)
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2010 (50)
- ► 2007 (19)